Rate of Return – 101 40-year Periods of the S&P 500
A compilation of the ending values of $1 dollar invested for 40-year periods in stocks (S&P 500 indexed stocks), bonds (US Treasuries) and the inflation index (CPI – Consumer Price Index). The average rate of return for all 101 40-year periods combined is a 9.8% rate of return for stocks, 4.3 % return for bonds and a 3% rate of inflation, On this chart, you can verify the 17.4% rate of return for the period ended in 1999.
See the following schedules that support the Prosperity Commission’s USA Plan proposal.
• Retirement Benefits Compared
• Computation of America’s Net Worth of all “USA Accounts” 40 years after enactment
• Invest in Stocks Not Bonds
• Rate of Return on the S&P 500 Stock Index in 40-year Increments from 1871 to 2011
• The Magic 40 years ending in 1999
• Computation of Nest Egg and Monthly Check at Various Income Levels
• Computation of Nest Egg and Monthly Retirement Check for Average Household Income of $50,000